Friday, May 8, 2015

First/Last-The Vacant Lots


"The key element of The Vacant Lots’ minimalist, primitive rock’n’roll songs is their boundless energy, which tears up the psychedelic rock template with a genuine punk spirit. Combine that with the use of synths and drum machines, and it’s not surprising to see why the band have won over Suicide’s Alan Vega, with whom they will be working very soon. Another famous friend is former Galaxie 500 and Luna frontman (and now Sonic Cathedral label mate) Dean Wareham, who plays guitar on ‘Tomorrow’."

The Vacant Lots is an electro-psych duo from Vermont who's debut LP "Departure" dropped last year. Seriously, turn their music up to 11 and thank me later! I want to thank Jared Artaud (Guitar/Wurlitzer/Bass/Drone Box/Vocals) and Brian MacFadyen (Electronics/Drums/Synths/Percussion/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Jared Artaud: My memory links back to when I earned my own cash and went to this store called the Wiz in NJ which is no longer there to buy a few CDs. I picked up The Rolling Stones “High Tide” album.
Brian MacFadyen: The first record I bought was a Doors single… ‘Break on Through’.

Your last album bought?
Jared: Panda Bear’s new album.
Brian: Roberta Flack’s first album “First Take”.

Favorite album of all time?
Jared: “White Light / White Heat”.
Brian: “Safe as Milk”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Jared: There are too many to list.
Brian: I’m with Jared.

First concert attended?
Jared: Tom Petty.
Brian: B-52s.

Last concert?
Jared: Lisbon Psych Fest.
Brian: Same.

Favorite concert ever?
Jared: Kraftwerk at MOMA in NYC or Trad Gras Och Stenar at Tonic in NYC.
Brian: Kraftwerk.

Least favorite concert?
Jared: I must have blocked it out of my mind.
Brian: When John Maus played in Montreal and the guy in front of me got the last 2 tickets.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Jared: I liked going to the Warhol Museum to watch ‘13 Most Beautiful’ by Dean & Britta.

Thanks, guys. Really love what you are doing. I am so impressed with everything about your band, including the amazing cover art on your releases.

No comments: