Monday, May 25, 2015

First/Last-Supervoid


"Supervoid blends many influences resulting in crushing riffs, high energy and huge dynamics. Never letting their style be restricted to one category, tracks range from big energy rock and roll, soul crushing sludge, and atmospheric melody."

Supervoid is a Pittsburgh 'sludge & space roll psychedelic metal' rock band who's debut "Filaments" was released a couple years ago. The band's next gig is opening for Portland's Black Pussy this Wednesday night (along with locals Spacefish). I want to thank Greg Kemper (Drums), Brian Urban (Vocals), John Braymer (Bass), and Joe Madia (Guitar) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.


The first album you ever bought?
Greg Kemper: AC/DC “High Voltage”.
Brian Urban: Can't remember cassette but the first CD I bought was Silverchair “Frogstomp”.
John Braymer: Weird Al “Bad Hair Day”.
Joe Madia: Oh man, the first albums I ever got were when I was a real little kid, maybe 6 or 7, my dad took me to what at the time was Oasis Records (or Record Oasis, I forget which it was) on Rt. 88 in Bethel Park. I remember getting the ‘Ghostbusters’ soundtrack and "Make It Big" by Wham!... not off to an auspicious start as a rocker. I do remember the first real album I got was Metallica's ”Black Album” shortly after it was released.

Your last album bought?
Greg: Clutch “Earth Rocker”.
Brian: Death From Above 1979 “The Physical World”.
John: Dot Legacy S/T.
Joe: The last thing I ordered was the newest record by a band called Giant Squid, "Minoans". Also the newest 7" by Pittsburgh locals Shaky Shrines.

Favorite album of all time?
Greg: Led Zeppelin “Physical Graffiti”.
Brian: Local H “Pack Up The Cats”.
John: Mastodon “Blood Mountain”.
Joe: So many different favorites from so different times in my life. I guess the one band I've listened to for what feels like most of my life is Strung Out. I bet I've listened to “Twisted By Design” more than any other record in my life. Which is weird, because I've never been in a punk band like that or ever played punk rock as a musician. I still think they keep putting out good stuff.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Greg: Metallica “Load”.
Brian: Anything Converge does... I just don't get the hype.
John: Mastodon “The Hunter”. God I hate that album.
Joe: Like millions of other people, probably "Load" by Metallica. I started playing guitar because of them, and as I said above, the black album was my first 'real' rock record I ever bought. Having spent the previous 4-5 years absorbing everything on those first 5 records, the haircut sound was not what I was expecting.

First concert attended?
Greg: Men At Work (I'm old.)
Brian: Aerosmith.
John: Bad Religion with Blink 182 at the Civic Arena in 2000!
Joe: Bad Religion in 1994 at Metropol.

Last concert?
Greg: Clutch - Earth Rocker Tour.
Brian: Mastodon (I'm going this week ha-ha).
John: Elder at Gooski's.
Joe: National act was Helmet at Altar Bar. Locally, LadyBeast at Cattivo.

Favorite concert ever?
Greg: Lollapalooza '93.
Brian: It's really hard to pick but Mastodon/Gojira/Kvelertak, CKY or Horse The Band.
John: Probably get a different answer every time you ask me, but I'll go with Red Fang, Big Business and American Sharks at the Beachland Ballroom.
Joe: Probably Andrew WK at Metropol right when “Party Hard” came out, 2002 or so. And a bunch of shows when I was a teenager at then Starlake… Dokken, Motley Crue, Alice Cooper, etc.

Least favorite concert?
Greg: George Thorogood.
Brian: I'd be hard pressed to remember one I didn't enjoy but I remember seeing Marilyn Manson on a festival show later in his career and he was HORRIBLE.
John: The Sword... love their albums but was incredibly underwhelmed by their live performance.
Joe: Somehow I ended up seeing Muse at Consol. Dude can play guitar for sure, but I can't take his voice. Also I took my college girlfriend to see Nelly and Destiny's Child. That show wasn't that bad actually, but I do remember getting in a fight with her because I said that it was only a matter of time before Beyonce left the rest of them behind, and she said "NO SHE WOULD NEVER DO THAT THEY'RE A GROUP!!"


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Greg: I'm from a small town and farm area (Butler), so moving down here and meeting a lot new and interesting people, playing in Pittsburgh bands and experiencing a great city that I love is something I'll never regret.
Brian: I really enjoy meeting people that go to shows, as I've gotten older I don't get out to them as much as I used to but the connections and friendships you make through local and touring music shows are great.
John: I've only lived here for a few years but the camaraderie between musicians is great. I've met and made friends with a lot of great people in my short time here thanks to the music scene.
Joe: Outside of four years in college and a year spent living in Austin, Texas, Pittsburgh is my home, and I don't really want to live anywhere else. There are certainly things that can be improved about the city, but I'm always perplexed when I hear people say there's nothing to do. So many good restaurants, art, shows, etc. Incredibly talented musicians and songwriters too, I'd encourage everyone to go out and check out some bands that are outside of the scene your band plays in.

Thanks, fellas. I totally agree, Joe. Go check out bands outside your scene! There is soooo much going on and the variety of musical styles we have in Pittsburgh is amazing!

No comments: