Monday, March 23, 2015

First/Last-Habatat


"From the 4 corner square of musicians, the balance is set and ready to take affect. Habatat acquires the Rock, gritty, soul blues that every someone deep inside wants to hear,. but for those with an open ear and a taste for the smooth, funk, we have got that too.. our diversity of genre has gone limitless at our rare age and style that ranges separately from each member. love for music is strong, strong is a high term for the strive of our goal. we hope to see ourselves in the future still finding foundation for our styles til there's no ladder to reach it."

Habatat is n experimental funk/jam rock band from Pittsburgh, PA. They play a ton of shows in the area including one tomorrow night (3/24) at Howlers with Genome and Memphis Hill. I want to thank Ryan Woods (Guitar/Vocals), Kris Lupher (Bass/Percussion). Benny Irons (Drums) and Cory 'Gweedo' Mickinik (Guitar) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Ryan Woods: My father gave me an old cassette tape when I was in high school, it was “Led Zeppelin 3”. I have always been a fan since then.
Kris Lupher: Since I was young, I had access to collection of music. iPod album.
Ben Irons: First album I ever bought was Red Hot Chili Pepper Peppers “Mother's Milk”. Around the time of 7th grade.

Your last album bought?
Ryan: Dr. John “Babylon”.
Ben: Mike Bloomfield “Anthology”.

Favorite album of all time?
Ben: Talking Heads “Fear of Music”.
Ryan: Grateful Dead “Terrapin Station”.
Kris: Dr. Dog “Easy Beat”.

First concert attended?
Ryan: I saw Merle Haggard at age 3, front row. He saw me yelling and screaming and he said, hey little dude over the mic, the whole show afterward I was silent and learning the essence of music.
Ben: Beach Boys/Temptations, 12 yrs. old. It was the turning point to music.

Last concert?
Ryan: I went out to Peach Festival and was able to see The Allman Brothers rock it one last time.
Ben: Zappa plays Zappa.
Gweedo Mickinak: Went with Benny to Zappa plays Zappa.
Kris: Lettuce.

Favorite concert ever?
Ryan: Dark Star Orchestra at Carnegie Library.
Ben: Taj Mahal at Carnegie Library.
Kris: Marcus Miller at Pittsburgh Jazz Festival. Afterwards was able to shake his hand and talk some also. Big inspiration to my music.

Least favorite concert?
Ryan: Habatat played a show in Wingharts in Greensburg. We felt great walking in, ready to play the best we could do. Though, my guitar was so out of wack many complications with feedback from complications of my pickup, Ben's bass drum had problems til it was unplayable, and to top it off, Gweedo bought a brand new beer, we were rocking our encore song, and it shook the beer right off the table right into his Marshall amplifier, talk about an electrical fire.


Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Ryan: Habatat played The Rex Theater, with battle of the bands, we had such an amazing following come out to support us, everyone enjoyed their time, the Rex was so awesome to us, very professional and kind, we rocked that show, though we lost to the young up and coming, which is okay in my book.
Ben: It's the most beautiful city I've ever seen, got to open for Rusted Root.
The people of Pittsburgh are the nicest and most polite and straightforward/down-to-earth.
Kris: Got to perform with some great street performers in Pittsburgh, being a percussionist first before bass, was a good first step away from myself and into a new perceptive.

Thanks, guys. I have to say, I really appreciate that you are carrying the torch for performing original 'jamz' in the area. I wish there were more bands around doing that.

No comments: