Friday, July 18, 2014

First/Last-Thom Hunter & The Rocket Surgeons


Thom Hunter and The Rocket Surgeons is a Pittsburgh songwriter. I am honored to have him help me celebrate ten years of HughShows today and thank him for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
The first piece of music I remember being all mine was Harvey Danger’s “Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone?” on CD. It’s still one of my favorites.

Your last album bought?
I just bought a bunch of vinyl, including a ’68 7-inch, The Chariot’s “Long Live”, Every Time I Die’s new album “From Parts Unknown” and a 7-inch split from two bands I just played with, Stolen Pizza and Ghost Guest.

Favorite album of all time?
What an impossible question. I will say in more recent times that I bought Ellie Goulding’s “Halcyon” when it came out two years ago and it’s still on heavy rotation for me.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Usually not a huge problem for me. However, I bought Taking Back Sunday’s self-titled when it came out, the first song was really good, everything else I didn’t really care for.

First concert attended?
First local show was at CD Warehouse in Greensburg to see Grade School Felons.
First big show I went to Club Laga (rip) to see Ben Kweller, The Anniversary, and Dashboard Confessional when I was 12. It was awesome.

Last concert?
I played one last night. As far as just attending goes I just saw Homeless Gospel Choir, ’68, and Listener. Also awesome.

Favorite concert ever?
Not sure, I’ve seen so many great shows but I usually get so caught up in the moment that later on it’s a big blur. Though someone came with me to see The Chariot once and they said they’d never seen me happier.

Least favorite concert?
I went to see Copeland on their farewell tour. I remember being upset because they write such pretty music with a bunch of keyboards and such, but live they were all guitars and more rock. It just didn’t seem like them, though I totally understand wanting to rock out on stage rather than be quiet and pretty. And the show was still good.

Favorite thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
Finding the open mic night at the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern. I sucked when I started singing and they’ll even tell you that. But they were super accepting so I kept coming back. It really helped me find my voice. They’re great people.


Thanks, Thom. I've been to a couple of those BBT open mics and you are so right. I distinctly remember and appreciated the support and encouragement everyone involved gave the performers.

No comments: