Tuesday, July 29, 2014

First/Last-Allie Farris


 "At the age of 15, while still in high school, Allie Farris formed her first band and begun playing small coffee shops and venues around her hometown of Flower Mound, Texas. In the fall of 2007, Allie made her first live studio recording at the Dallas Sound Lab, which was released the following May(“Songs Written Upside Down“). In 2008 through early 2009, Allie performed at well-known Dallas venues like Six Flags Over Texas, the Brooklyn Jazz Cafe, Dunn Bros. Coffee, and the Maximedia Studios Live Soundstage. She also won first prize in the Gorilla Productions Battle of the Bands, earning the opportunity to record a full album at the prestigious Maximedia Studios of Dallas. The Album, All You Can Eat, was released in June of 2009. Allie Farris (age 21) moved to Nashville, Tennessee in January 2011 to begin her life as a full-time singer/songwriter. She has already had the opportunity to perform in Nashville venues like Hotel Indigo, Pick’s in Nashville, and the Vanderbilt Hotel. She is currently working on her new EP recording in Nashville, to be released in early 2012."

Nashville based singer-songwriter Allie Farris heads to Pittsburgh on Wednesday in support of her new "EP" to play the Pittsburgh Mennonite Church along with locals Heather Kropf and Brad Yoder. I want to thank her for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Barenaked Ladies single ‘One Week’.


Your last album bought?
Rufus Wainwright "Want One".


Favorite album of all time?
The Jayhawks "Rainy Day Music".


Least favorite/most disappointing album?
When I bought a Herb Alpert album on vinyl at Goodwill, got home and there was a different, less-good album inside it.


First concert attended?
Backstreet Boys Millenium Tour.


Last concert?
PHOX.


Favorite concert ever?
Seeing Ben Folds on Halloween night in Fort Worth, Texas, 2006.


Least favorite concert?
A hard rock band that I can't remember the name of that I saw in high school. I got pulled into the mosh pit, where I almost broke my leg and had to be lifted out by my hair.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
My friend Brad Yoder took me on a sightseeing excursion overlooking Pittsburgh. It's a beautiful city. I also love the co-op grocery close enough to his house that I can walk.

Thanks, Allie. I assume you picked up the new 'deluxe version' of the recently released, "Rainy Day Music"? Such an underrated album.


No comments: