Tuesday, April 15, 2014

First/Last-The McLovins




"McLovins specialize in the creation of dynamic and improvised sound, influenced by the members' disparate and eclectic music influences. The band consists of Jason Ott, Jake Huffman, Justin Berger and Atticus Kelly. These early twenty-year-olds embrace simultaneous and intricate improvisation with a more versatile front line in which all members are singing in four-part harmony, writing lyrics and music, as well as expounding on one another's musical ideas. Set list segues and fiery improvisations are a staple of the band's performances, keeping their audience always guessing what's coming next and wanting more. In the short time McLovins have been performing together, they have been invited to appear at an impressive number of well-established, as well as many new music festivals, and some of the most well respected venues in the North East. These guys are constantly writing and playing music, to continue to build on their own foundation, towards a long career of original rock music to their growing fan base."

Check out the band at their official Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and BandCamp. As I sporadically continue my coverage of the Paste 50 States Project, we arrive in Connecticut to visit with The McLovins. Their latest release is "Beautiful Lights" and I want to thank songwriter Jacob Huffman (Drums/Vocals) for taking the time to participate in this edition of First/Last.

The first album you ever bought?
Honestly, the first album I ever bought was the ‘Space Jam Soundtrack’.  I still listen to it all the time.  #basketballjones

Your last album bought?
Well this is tough because of Spotify and Youtube, I find/listen to new artists all the time and I buy less and less albums each year. Last album I actually bought was Jim James solo project “Regions of Light and Sound of God”. But I’ve been listening to a lot of The Tallest man on Earth on Spotify recently.

Favorite album of all time?
Parliament “The Mothership Connection”.

Least favorite/most disappointing album?
Arcade Fire “Reflektor”.

First concert attended?
I saw Ringo Star and The All Star band when I was 13 and a few weeks later saw Billy Joel. They blend into my head as one night so I consider them my “first” concert.

Last concert?
Dopapod at Toads Place in New Haven, CT.

Favorite concert ever?
My first Phish show in Hartford the summer of 2009 was pretty surreal.

Least favorite concert?
I go to basement folk punk shows sometimes… those can get pretty terrible.


Any thoughts, experiences about Pittsburgh?
I’ve never actually been to Pittsburgh but it seems very old, and I see on Wikipedia that it is the second largest city in the U.S. Commonwealth… so CONGRATS GUYS!
We’ve actually been talking about going to Pittsburgh for the past two years and I think summer will be when we break into it. From friends who live there it seems like a happening town and we would love to get to know it better.

Thanks, Jake. Summer in Pittsburgh, huh? Drop a line if you do make it over, man.

No comments: